Bethany Gislason is an avid gardener who has spent over a decade nurturing perennials. Her passion for gardening has led her to explore new plants and sustainable techniques, resulting in picturesque and enduring gardens. Away from her garden, Bethany is a hiking enthusiast and an ardent reader.
Hey there! Autumn is a wonderful time to add some color and beauty to your garden with the right selection of perennials. Whether you're looking for vibrant blooms or foliage that changes with the season, there are plenty of options to choose from. Here are some of the best perennials to grow in autumn:
1. Autumn Sedum (Sedum spectabile): This perennial is a showstopper in the fall garden. Its clusters of pink or white flowers bloom from late summer through autumn, attracting butterflies and bees. The foliage turns a lovely shade of bronze or burgundy, adding even more interest to your garden.
2. Autumn Joy Stonecrop (Sedum 'Autumn Joy'): Another sedum variety, Autumn Joy, is a popular choice for its long-lasting blooms and low-maintenance nature. Its pink flowers transition to a deep copper color as the season progresses. This perennial is also drought-tolerant, making it a great choice for dry areas.
3. Autumn Fern (Dryopteris erythrosora): If you're looking to add some texture to your garden, consider the Autumn Fern. Its fronds unfurl in a beautiful coppery shade in spring and mature to a glossy green in summer. As autumn arrives, the foliage takes on a stunning golden hue, creating a striking contrast in your garden.
4. Autumn Phlox (Phlox paniculata): This perennial is known for its fragrant flowers that bloom in late summer and continue into autumn. With a wide range of colors to choose from, including shades of pink, purple, and white, Autumn Phlox adds a pop of color to your garden when other plants may be fading.
5. Autumn Helenium (Helenium autumnale): Helenium is a fantastic choice for late-season color. Its daisy-like flowers come in shades of yellow, orange, and red, providing a vibrant display in your garden. This perennial is also a favorite of pollinators, attracting bees and butterflies.
6. Autumn Hosta (Hosta plantaginea): Hostas are well-known for their lush foliage, but did you know there are varieties that bloom in autumn? Autumn Hosta produces fragrant white flowers that add a touch of elegance to your garden. Plus, the foliage turns a beautiful golden color as the temperatures cool.
7. Autumn Sage (Salvia greggii): This perennial is loved for its vibrant flowers and ability to attract hummingbirds. With its compact size and a wide range of colors to choose from, including red, pink, and purple, Autumn Sage is a great addition to any autumn garden.
Remember, when planting perennials in autumn, it's important to ensure they have enough time to establish their root systems before winter. Be sure to provide them with well-draining soil and water regularly until the ground freezes.
So, there you have it! These are some of the best perennials to grow in autumn. Whether you're looking for colorful blooms or foliage that changes with the season, these plants will add beauty and interest to your garden. Happy gardening!