Sarah is a landscape designer who specializes in creating beautiful perennial gardens. She has a keen eye for design and loves incorporating different textures and colors into her projects. When she's not working, she enjoys painting and traveling.
Hey there! If you're looking for the best full sun ground cover plants for your yard, you've come to the right place. I'm here to help you create a beautiful and low-maintenance perennial garden that will thrive in sunny areas.
When it comes to full sun ground cover plants, there are a few key factors to consider. You'll want plants that can tolerate the intense heat and sunlight, as well as ones that are low maintenance and can spread to cover the ground effectively. Here are some of the best perennial ground cover plants for full sun:
1. Creeping Thyme (Thymus serpyllum): This aromatic herb is not only a great ground cover, but it also releases a lovely fragrance when stepped on. It forms a dense mat of tiny leaves and produces small pink, purple, or white flowers in the summer. Creeping thyme is drought-tolerant and can handle foot traffic, making it perfect for pathways or between stepping stones.
2. Creeping Phlox (Phlox subulata): With its vibrant flowers in shades of pink, purple, blue, and white, creeping phlox adds a pop of color to your garden. It spreads quickly and forms a dense carpet of evergreen foliage. Creeping phlox is also deer-resistant and attracts butterflies, making it a great choice for wildlife-friendly gardens.
3. Ice Plant (Delosperma): If you're looking for a ground cover that can handle hot and dry conditions, the ice plant is a fantastic choice. It has succulent leaves and produces daisy-like flowers in shades of pink, purple, orange, or yellow. The ice plant is incredibly drought-tolerant and thrives in sandy or rocky soil.
4. Creeping Jenny (Lysimachia nummularia): This low-growing perennial has bright green leaves and yellow flowers that add a splash of color to your garden. Creeping Jenny is a great choice for areas with poor soil as it can tolerate a wide range of conditions. It spreads quickly and is perfect for filling in gaps between other plants.
5. Blue Star Creeper (Isotoma fluviatilis): If you're looking for a ground cover that stays low and spreads quickly, the blue star creeper is an excellent option. It forms a dense mat of tiny, star-shaped blue flowers and bright green leaves. Blue star creeper is also a great choice for rock gardens or as a filler between stepping stones.
Remember, when planting ground cover plants, it's essential to prepare the soil properly and provide adequate water during the establishment period. Once established, these plants are generally low maintenance and require minimal care.
So there you have it! These are some of the best full sun ground cover plants for your yard. Whether you're looking for drought-tolerant options, vibrant colors, or low-maintenance choices, there's a perennial ground cover plant that will suit your needs. Happy gardening!